All About Me

 View My Profile



 

Holly Shop





 

Blogs I Read


Subscribe with Bloglines
 

Buttons




<< Prev | Next >>


 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

 

Notable Quotes

You must keep sending work out; you must never let a manuscript do nothing but eat its head off in a drawer. You send that work out again and again, while you're working on another one. If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist.
--Isaac Asimov

 

Good Books for
a Good Cause

Vidlit for The Halo Effect
by M.J. Rose

Buy The Halo Effect
by M.J. Rose

 

Recently Bought


Slideshow image


 

 

Books To Buy

Slideshow image


 

 

Knick Knacks


Stop Censorship Mug


Certifiably Neurotic asswiper Tote

 

Places To Go

 

Wednesday, October 26

Is It Worth It?

Things take time. More than once, I have wondered if I really have the time to write. Kids, girlfriend, hobbies, work, blah, blah. Almost all of that has to come first. Hell, this year hobbies even have to come first, too. (Just not enough money to spend on Christmas this year, think large family)

Where do I find the time to sit down and write? I don't. The time finds me. A fifteen minute break happens along and I jot down a few notecards. They don't even have to be part of what I am working on, they just are. I trust my subconscious to tell me where they belong. Plus, when I need an all around nifty scene, I can flip through and just go with it.

When I am working with residents who don't talk, I tell them a story. Wahoo! I got a scene already fleshed out. If it was good, I remember it. Either way, the resident at least gotten some entertainment.

Free hour before work, you say? Hah! Just write. Don't edit, backtrack, or look outside the window. Print it out and do it later. If you don't trust me, trust PBW.

Fifteen minutes until dinner is done and I am digging out the hardcopies and editing. Snip here, chop there, and I am done with that part. Then, when I am blocked in front of the computer, I can type-in those edits.

Some say that I am missing out on life. To me, these moments would only be wasted by not writing. But, writing is the way I express my life. I want to be published, so I want to do the work. Someday, I will get there. Come hell, high water, or "no" time.

3 Comments:

at 12:25 PM, October 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Carter about the determination. And I wish I had yours... :)

 
at 7:47 PM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Jean said...

Good for you for making it work out.

 
at 1:25 AM, November 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi.cool blog. i was drawn in by the title.

You seem to have the determination/self discipline thing nailed. I drifted through a good few months, letting other things come ahead of writing, and its easy to get out of the habit, so its good to see someone who doesn't life sideline the need to sit down and scribble. Good on you.

I've done two things lately to kick my ass into shape. Signed up 5 days too late for Nanowrimo, and started my own blog deadliner, an attempt at making impossible demands on myself online, so I feel that I have to be answerable. I'm trying to open up to other people, too. check it out if you get a minute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home